Friday, May 28, 2010

Egmont Debut Week: Kay Cassidy

Hello from NYC!

I'm planning on spending the day sight-seeing and hopefully doing a little bit of shopping!! (As soon as I kick some slave trafficker butt with my part time ninja assassin skills and escape from this closet.) I'm in the city until Sunday, but today's the last day of the Egmont Debut Week Author Tour, and I'm hosting Kay Cassidy. Kay is the author of the wonderful THE CINDERELLA SOCIETY and also a marketing guru--and she has a great little something to give away to one of my readers (except I really want it so I might wrestle y'all for it) so stay tuned after the interview.

First here's little bit about TCS and Kay:

What's a girl to do when the glass slipper fits, but she doesn't want to wear it anymore?

Sixteen year old Jess Parker has always been an outsider. So when she receives an invitation to join The Cinderella Society, a secret society of the most popular girls in school, it's like something out of a fairy tale. Swept up by the Cindys' magical world of makeovers, and catching the eye of her Prince Charming, Jess feels like she's finally found her chance to fit in.

Then the Wickeds--led by Jess's arch-enemy--begin targeting innocent girls in their war against the Cindys, and Jess discovers there's more to being a Cindy than reinventing yourself on the outside. She has unknowingly become part of a centuries-old battle of good vs. evil, and now the Cindys in charge need Jess for a mission that could change everything.

Overwhelmed, Jess wonders if The Cinderella Society made a mistake in choosing her. Is it a coincidence her new boyfriend doesn't want to be seen with her in public? And is this glamorous, secret life even what she wants, or will she risk her own happy ending to live up to the expectations of her new sisters?


BOOK TEASER:

I opened the card, my hands trembling in dread and the faint remnants of what I used to call hope, as a tiny silver high-heel pin bounced into my hand. I juggled the pin for a second, barely managing to keep it from falling, and flipped open the note with my other hand. The words inside were not a message but an invitation that sent shivers down my spine:

Your presence is requested at The Grind.

Tonight, 7 p.m.

Wear the pin.
Discretion MANDATORY.


AUTHOR BIO: Kay Cassidy is the author of teen fiction she wishes was based on her real life. She is the founder of the national Great Scavenger Hunt ContestTM reading program for kids and teens and the host of the inspirational Living Your FiveTM web project. In her free time, she enjoys yoga, movies, music, and reading. Lots and lots of reading. She hopes her debut YA novel, THE CINDERELLA SOCIETY (April 13, 2010 - Egmont), will help girls embrace their inner Cindy.


On to the Q&A:

1. If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Ooo… I have dreams a lot where I'm flying, so that's the first thing that comes to mind. Although in those dreams, I'm usually being chased by someone who can leap like Michael Jordan so I'm never quite out of reach. So maybe I wouldn't be a great flyer after all. Oh, I know! I would totally want to be INVISIBLE. So I could go get the mail in my pajamas and nobody would even know. And, you know, for other cool uses too. (Okay, it's mostly for the mail.)


2. Pretend you're on death row . . . What crime have you been accused of committing? Are you innocent or guilty? What would your last meal be?

Stealing all the cupcakes in the city. Mwahahaha. :-) And, of course, I would probably be guilty. (Wait, are these cherry chip cupcakes with cherry frosting? They are? Then I would definitely be guilty.) Since I would probably have both stolen AND EATEN every cupcake in the city, it's a fair guess that I would have a little tummy ache from the sugar. So I'd probably want pepperoni pizza as my last meal.


3. If you could go on a date with any fictional character, who would it be? What would you do?

If I was a teen, I would totally pick Harry Potter. I would want to go to Diagon Alley for a little shopping first. Maybe pick up some cool magical titles at Flourish & Blotts before having an ice cream at Florean Fortescue's. Then we could go to Hogsmeade to meet up with Ron and Hermione and the gang. Probably to Madam Puddifoot's, especially if it was on Valentine's Day when she has cherubs throw confetti on the couples dining there. To top it off, a trip into Honeydukes Sweetshop for some tasty delights to take home with me as edible memories. Ah, bliss.

Giveaway time:

Kay is offering up one of her gorgeous glass slipper bookmarks to a lucky reader. Since TCS is all about girl power how about you tell me about your favorite female fictional heroine in the comments to be entered to win. (Seriously, I want this bookmark!)

And huge props go out to Kay for organizing this author tour!

P.S. I'm over at Lindsay Eland's blog today. Be sure to stop by and enter to win a bottle of TDD nail polish.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Bree, you need to go to Menchenko Tei (Japanese) near the Rockefeller Center. Best food in NYC (in my opinion)and inexpensive too. You will love it.

Unknown said...

Currently my favorite heroine is Evangeline Stone from Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding. She is unbelievably able. Nothing seems to phase her, making her a very fun character to follow.

robin [at] intensewhisper [dot] com

ally said...

I'm smack in the middle of TCS and LOVING it so far! As for my fave heroine, I finished 'The Body Finder' just last week and have to say I felt very akin to Violet =)!

*i want that bookmark!*

alannahjavier@gmail.com

Jenilyn Collings said...

My favorite heroine is probably Corie from Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn. She's tough, but with a good heart.

Emily said...

Katniss from the Hunger Games, of course!

Cindy said...

Hmmm, well thats a hard choice to make since there's a lot of heroines I like, but I'd have to say Nora Grey from Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick is my favorite heroine.

sdewsnup said...

My favorite female heroine is a toss up between Ananka from Kiki Strike by Kirsten Miller and Cammie from the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter.

Julie said...

Katniss from the Hunger Games She has feelings like fear but it doesn't stop her from doing what's right

Jackson Porter said...

Yep, I agree with Julie.

And TCS sounds awesome.

-Jackson

KA said...

Bree, you probably already know this if you have Google Alerts, but just in case you don't, Kasie West is happy blogging about your book. And lots of happy comments are happening, too.

Variety said...

My current favorite heroine is Katniss from The Hunger Games. She doesn't think she's anything special, or strong, but she just does what she has to, as we all do in order to survive life.
-Tawnya

Mistie said...

hi Bree- sorry about your grandma - not matter how old or sick, it still is hard to see them go. i hope you are ok?
also, i saw your article in the south valley journal. congrats on that!
-Mistie