So I've been working on answering questions for a blogger who is doing an interview with me to celebrate the release of THE DARK DIVINE in December, and the first item on the list of questions was: "Can you tell us something random about yourself?" Which basically sent my mind a whirling with all of the random things about myself (I am a neurotic writer, after all) and wondering how I can possibly cut the list down to just ONE.
And then I remembered like FOREVER AGO, when everybody I'd ever met sent me one of those "25 Random Things About Me" messages on Facebook, but because I'm so totally Facebook stupid, I could never figure out how to do it.
And then I was reading a friend's blog today where he asked people to tell him something odd about themselves, which got me totally thinking about the million odd things about myself (I am a neurotic writer, after all . . .wait, did I say that already?), and I figured all this thinking about randomness and oddities should probably be channeled into some sort of blog post. . . .
So without any (more) ado, I present "25 Random Things About Bree" (or as many random things I can list before I get hungry and go looking for a snack):
1. I'm very superstitious. I'm constantly afraid of jinxing myself. Which is probably why I'm so tight lipped about good news. And you've probably never met anyone who knocks on wood as much as I do. And if you happen to say something jinx-worthy in my presence, I WILL make you knock on wood.
2. I can't stand the color peach. I will not wear it, nor can I stand to spend much time in a room with peach walls. It stems from my childhood when I wanted my parents to paint my room pink, but instead they painted my sister's room pink, and then painted my room peach and mint green. My mom bought me peach and green bedding, and decorated my room with peach and green paintings. And if that wasn't peachy enough, she kept buying me peach outfits so I'd match my room. About 20 years later, my mom apologized to me for all the peach after she went to a feng shui workshop and learned that you should NEVER decorate with the color peach because it makes people irritable. (Which apparently explains most of my behavior as a child??)
3. I have a dress made entirely out of duct tape. My husband made it for me back when we were (just) friends in high school. He also made himself a three piece suit out of duct tape, and then we wore them to a school dance. If only I had a scanner, I could show you all the pics. (Hint, hint, Hubby.)
4. I'm a tab bit OCD when it comes to locked doors. Before I go to bed at night, I MUST check every single lock. That might not seems all that strange, but I don't just look at each lock, I have to touch each lock in order to prove to myself that each door is actually locked. I try to content myself with just staring at the locked lock from the end of the hall, but nine times out of ten, I know won't sleep unless I go touch the lock. Yeah, I know, I'm weird.
5. I hate potty training. I'd rather be water-boarded, or sit in that roach tank from Fear Factor, than potty train my children. I offered my sister $200 to potty train Kid A for me, but she just laughed. And I even tried to convince Egmont that they should send one of their interns down to do the job while I write my sequel (hey, publishers do random stuff like that for their authors in the movies). But since nobody took the job, I embarked--begrudgingly--on the task this afternoon. Here are the stats from today's potty training session: Times Kid A sat on the potty: 19. Times Kid A peed in the potty: 0. Times Kid A peed on the floor: 5.
6. I apparently start almost every blog post with the word "So." I'm thinking of just going with it and making it my signature bloggy thing.
7. I'm a Buffy the Vampire Slayer addict. I've seen the entire 7 seasons all the way through at least 3 times. We're starting in on the fourth go around. (There's nothing on TV this Summer!!)
Um, wow, this takes a lot of time and I'm totally getting hungry . . .and hubby just turned on Buffy so I think I'm gunna call it a night. Perhaps I'll share more random things later this week (If y'all want to hear any more?).
And for putting up with all my randomness, I'll reward you all with a random contest: Tell me something random about yourself in the comments, and I'll enter you into a drawing to win a random prize from my random prize grab-bag (which contains autographed books!). So comment away!!!