So somewhere in the holiday hubbub of fireworks, BBQs, mosquito bites, and watching kids get freaked out by clowns, I forgot to go grocery shopping for Sunday dinner. A fact that didn't fully dawn on me until about 5:45 p.m. when the kids started whining about being hungry and I realized that there was just about absolutely nothing in my kitchen. Which means that for dinner I had 2 thin slices of Deli Select ham, a handful of freezer burned french fries we found while spelunking in the back of the freezer, and some sort of hash Hubby made out of 8-month-old Sunshine Veggie Burger patties that we found behind the fries. Needless to say, I am still hungry. And when I get hungry, I get cranky (I blame the hypoglycemia . . .but any who . . ), and when I get cranky I NEED chocolate . . .but since I don't have any chocolate on my bare cupboard shelves, I've decided to dedicate today's blog to things that make me smile, so that I can cheer myself up before I just stand up in my chair and start screaming like this kid:
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel at the moment. Did I mention that hunger makes me a bit woozy?
Anyway, here are the top ten things that made me happy this week:
10. That video from above. If you didn't watch it, go back and check it out.
9. My Sister-Author, Brodi Ashton. If you're not following her blog . . .do it now! (No wait, finish reading this post and then go check out her blog.) Brodi just makes me laugh so hard, plus she's like 7% crazier than I am, so I always find that a bit reassuring.
8. Writing on Wednesdays. I've started meeting a small group of author/writer friends at the library each Wednesday for a marathon writing session, and then we go out to lunch to reward ourselves for working hard. There's nothing like hanging out with other writers on a weekly basis to make you feel almost sane.
7. Amazing YA author and BFF, Emily Wing Smith, is thinking about moving to somewhere near my neighborhood. The idea is that she'll live close to me so I can drive her around to places like the grocery store (she has major parking issues), and she'll babysit my kids when I go on tour for THE DARK DIVINE. (Or maybe I made that last part up and she has no idea that living in my neighborhood means I'll be hitting her up for free babysitting. Shhhh . . .don't tell.)
6. This week I got both an iPhone (used) and a Netbook (not used) and I'm totally in love with both gadgets. Especially the iPhone. I finally get why people like to text each other. It's really fun. . .and so is the Twitter from your phone feature. Hubby says I'm becoming a twitter addict, but I'm not. I mean, I can totally quit at any time. Really, I can. Wait, 6 new tweets! I'll be right back . . . .
5. Author buddy, James Dashner, lent me one of his ARCs of THE MAZE RUNNER. Distopian futuristic YA meets LOST . . .yeah, that makes me happy.
4. This little incident with KidA: I was lounging on the bed this afternoon reading MAZE RUNNER when KidZ came busting into my room saying, "Mom, KidA is pouring water on his carpet!" I went to investigate and found that KidA had spent the last few minutes filling up a plastic cup in the bathroom sink and then dumping the water on everything in his room (carpet, blankets, his pillow).
Me: "KidA, what are you doing?"
KidA: "Pouring water on my room."
Me: "Why would you do that?"
KidA: "So the mosquitoes won't get my Jesus book."
Okay, so as I spent the next 30 minutes soaking up all the water out of the carpet, I failed to see the humor in this, but now that KidA is safely tucked away in his bed, I have to admit that looking back on this makes me chuckle.
3. THE GUILD. So somehow I was talked/forced into being the new assistant cub scout leader for my church (don't ask) and after sitting through my very first pack meeting for over an hour on Monday, I came home to Hubby's latest Internet discovery called THE GUILD. It's a web-series about a group of online gaming addicts struggling to deal with real life issues. It makes me laugh so hard, I just have to share it with you. http://www.watchtheguild.com
2. Hubby just magically produced an entire box of Dove Dark Chocolate!!!
1. Forget #1, I've got chocolate!!! All is right in the world again. I'm off to watch THE GUILD, or read some more MAZE RUNNER, and make a second dinner out of dark chocolate deliciousness. My doctor would be so thrilled . . .
Anyway, what made you happy this week?